Friday, April 6, 2007
The Ring!

I have been busy the last few days, too busy to continue my reminiscence about Azura but not busy enough to shake her off my mind. She was there - everywhere.

That first summer separation with her was the longest summer I ever had. I found myself counting days for her return, and waiting for morning to arrive to bring me another postcard or aerogramme from her.

Midway through the summer Azura suggested that I take up a summer job. Besides earning extra pocket money, it would help to occupy my mind and my days, she said.
I had a friend who was studying in Nottingham and he was working in a Frozen Peas processing company not far from where he lived. Before the week was over, I was comfortably settled sharing his room and working as a production operator. My tasks were to pick up any unwanted elements from five of the production belts - where washed peas traveled on their way to cold storage for rapid freezing. I had to keep watchful eyes on the belts - but my mind was with Azura. I would be wondering what she was doing at the same time in Malaysia. The job was monotonous and repetitive - but my thoughts about Azura were not, always colorful and sweet. I would play back her kisses - the tenderness of her lips and silky smooth touch of her skin. I would imagine our future - then I would be really anxious about the differences in our status.

At the end of one month, I quit for it was time to return to London. College would be re-opening and Azura was returning in three days time. All together, after paying my share of living expenses to my Nottingham friend I managed to save more than pound-sterling150. In those days when a fish and chip cost only 50pence, a hundred and fifty quid were really good money.

I went shopping -I walked in out of many jeweler shops looking for the best ring which was within my budget. Finally I chose a silver ring with a solitaire ruby. Memory of the ring always brings sadness to my heart. The ring was given to her with love and returned to me with tears.

I still have the ring in my safe keeping.

Labels:

 
posted by Mr Froggies at 3:04 AM | Permalink |